Here is what putting yourself first may look like to a darling like you!
You look after yourself because:
- When someone pseudo-random invites you for a catch up, you consider whether you have ‘caught up’ with someone who has been on your mind and have a lovely convo with that person, before scheduling time to meet up with someone new. I know some beautifully magnetic people who everyone wants to be around and we’ve spoken about how it’s ok to see people they feel close to, before going for social coffee with someone new.
- When you are sick you actually have a day off work, even if you think people may be counting on you.
- When you are on a healthy eating plan, you don’t just succumb to whatever everyone else is going to eat because it is easier for them. When you’re cooking for family you eat something nourishing first, before feeding everyone and barely sitting to enjoy the meal you made.
- When you are on a roll writing some lovely sales copy for your website and a co-worker asks you to flick them an email, you FINISH the roll you are on, BEFORE you send them what they need!
- When someone you love calls needing to talk and you are driving, between thoughts or running errands, you tell them that you want to be fully attentive and will call them back once you have taken care of what you have planned.
- When someone requests you motivate them to get fit, you do your own workout first, before you head to their place to give them squat drills.
- When you have an early morning appointment with an eager client, you still honour that morning routine that has been so good for you, BEFORE making the call.
- When you live this way, being kind to yourself and to others, most of the daily stress either dissipates or just feels different- lighter. There is no resentment, strain or sense of pointlessness when you take care of you and then go on your merry way making the world a better place.
Click to return to The Number One Excuse I Make for Putting Others Before Myself where you can consolidate your learnings, share your thoughts and perhaps help someone else in the process.